Developed in conjunction with

Amat Victoria Curam

Financial Information for Senior Military Officers

Retroactive VA Disability Payments and Your Taxes

Retroactive VA Disability Payments and Your Taxes


A lot of the readers of this blog are military members or retired military members. For those who have or will retire from the military there is a potential tax issue you will need to resolve. This issue comes from the fact that VA Disability Benefits are often awarded retroactively to a prior date. To my experience, 99.99% of those us who do receive VA Disability Benefits, will receive them retroactively. And if that is the case, that means your taxes are/will be messed up. Here is what to do about your situation.

First the good news. You have the right to reduce your military retirement income by the amount that your pay should have been reduced if your VA Disability Benefits would have started on time. This right was established by the courts in the Strickland decision (Strickland v Commissioner, 4th Cir. 1976) and is codified in Revenue Rule 78-161. That is about the end of the good news.


Now, the bad news. You are going to get little to no “automatic” help to do this. You won’t receive and updated 1099-R. You might get a note from the VA saying that you have rights under the Strickland Decision. You won’t get a notice from the IRS letting you know you overstated your income in a prior year due to the VA offset not being taken. So, you are going to have to do this yourself or bring in a pro from Dover.

What needs to be done?

If you were awarded retroactive VA benefits in 2011 you will need to adjust the amount on your 1099-R by the reduction that should have occurred and use the adjusted amount on your tax return. If you are like me, you’ll need to do two separate calculations, as I had to prove my sons were in college to get an increase in the Disability payment amount. So I had a period where the offset was correct, a period where the offset was too little and a period of where there was no offset. Now, when you file your return you’ll have to decide whether you want to e-file or not. In either case you'll state your 1099-R income just like it shows on the form.  You'll make the adjustment as negative income on the "other income" line.  If you file on paper, include a copy of your VA determination letter.  Easy right?

If your retroactive benefits span two years (for example you retired in 2010 and didn’t get a determination until 2011) you’ll have to decide if it is worth your time to try to get the refund that is probably due. If you are rated more than 50% disabled, the tax benefit may be small and you might want to just let it go (you could send a letter to the President and let him know you did your part to reduce the deficit…sorry, editorial comment there). If you are rated less than 50% disabled it may be worth your time. What you will do in this case is file an IRS Form 1040X (amended tax return) changing your retirement income to reflect the offset that should have been taken. Then include all the documentation mentioned above. Even easier…

So the bottom line is: when you get retroactive VA Disability Benefits, you have the right to retroactively reduce your income. But you’re going to have to do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you.

Imminent Danger Pay Now Calculated Differently
Estate Planning 101: Living Trusts


No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment


Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC . To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the C.L. Sheldon & Company, LLC ’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. DISCLAIMER OF TAX ADVICE: Any discussion contained herein cannot be considered to be tax advice. Actual tax advice would require a detailed and careful analysis of the facts and applicable law, which we expect would be time consuming and costly. We have not made and have not been asked to make that type of analysis in connection with any advice given in this blog post. As a result, we are required to advise you that any Federal tax advice rendered in this blog is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS. In the event you would like us to perform the type of analysis that is necessary for us to provide an opinion, that does not require the above disclaimer, as always, please feel free to contact us.

Read Our Blog


Understanding TSP RMDs
      You can't leave your money in TSP forever.  Find out what happens if you don't take it out...


Read More

Access Your Accounts


Sign-up for Newsletter